Welcome to OPEN STUDIO at Roaring Mouse, a multi-media class for children ages 4-8 years old to explore and expand their creativity and skill. Students engage in a balance of “Artist’s Choice”* and projects designed by Ellie to inspire the artists as they learn to use new tools and processes. The young artists have the opportunity to work with Ellie in a collaborative and creative partnership that honors their curiosity and personal artistic process as they expand, explore, and develop their craft. Students in this class learn about the art world through a range of projects, including painting, collage, drawing, printmaking, and sculpture. Our young artists are empowered to choose their own creative outlet, including deciding to play in the playroom during Artist’s Choice.
*Artist Choice is a favorite activity of many of the children who participate in classes at Roaring Mouse. Children have access to a variety of materials, many of them recycled, to create their own projects. Teachers find it fascinating to watch the children’s approach to creating as it involves many skills outside the artistic range — critical thinking, science, and mathematical skills to name just a few. Teachers also encourage children to share their thinking process, which often inspires other children to incorporate those ideas into their projects as well. We often have very detailed and interesting conversations around the Artist Choice table.
- Schedule: Tuesdays or Thursdays, 4:30pm - 6:00pm
- Dates: October 3 - November 16 (7 weeks)
- Teacher: Ellie Cross
- Cost: $77.00
- It is possible to register for just one class or the entire session. The drop-in option for Open Studio will become available a few days before the first session date.
- Registration and reservations are required to attend. Reservations can be made up to a month in advance and, if space is available, up to 2pm the day you wish your child to attend.
- Please be prepared to transport wet projects if only visiting for the day. A large flat box works best (for example, copy paper box lids, fruit flat boxes).
This program offers a unique opportunity for children to not only participate in classes, but also to begin training as an assistant teacher. Working with our beloved Roaring Mouse teachers, the apprentices attend classes for younger children, dividing their time between creating their own pieces and helping younger students with their projects. The teacher will guide apprentices to assist younger students so the apprentice can build his or her skills as an assistant. Apprentices also help with set up, clean up and snack, and are encouraged to contribute their ideas for projects and classroom activities.
- Schedule: Varies
- Teacher: Roaring Mouse Staff
- Cost: 1/2 tuition for classes attending as apprentices.
- Classes in which Art Apprentices assist currently include Kids Night Out and Open Studio.
- There is only one apprentice spot per class.
- Further training classes and opportunities may be available on a case by case basis.
- If you would like to find out more about this opportunity, please let us know here.
- Art Apprentices who successfully participate in this program may apply for a paid assistant teaching position at the age of 14.